Interact and observe changes in ice blocks. Chip away ice to discover hidden treasures inside.
indoors, observation, science
What you'll need
- Assorted Food Storage Containersbuy item
- Plastic Toysbuy item
- Paint Tray / Palettebuy item
- Watercolor Paintsbuy item
- Droppers / Pipettesbuy item
Step by step guide
- Fill 1/2 of an empty container with water (e.g. large yogurt tub or food container). Place container in freezer.
- When water freezes, place small toys in container and add more water. Place the contained back in the freezer.
- Prepare a few cups of different colored dye, made from water and watercolor paint.
- Once the block of ice is frozen, place in an empty container to catch the melted water. Encourage child to use the plastic pipettes or droppers to drop different colors into the block of ice. Observe the changes.
- Your child can shake salt onto the block of ice to speed up the melting process. Observe the changes.
- Demonstrate how to use the pipette or a safe instrument to chip away at the ice.